Thursday, June 5, 2014

On Being Stupid

A few weeks ago I had a conversation with someone about specific reservations I've been holding on to for quite some time. Keeping myself at arm's length from the situation without a solid reason why. 

Then she said, "Do you think maybe it's because you don't want to look stupid?" 

OUCH. 

And yes. 

The *ahem* older I get, the more I've come to understand that appearances really don't mean anything. You can create a facade of perfection, yet be crumbling on the inside. You may live paycheck to paycheck, but be rich with the fulfillment of doing something you love. My fear of "looking stupid" was preventing me from truly embracing my whole self. My whole life, essentially. Humiliation sucks, but choosing to avoid it at all costs has sadly prevented me from making some pretty fabulous mistakes. 

"I invite you to look stupid," she said. 

Such a silly sentence, but it was an f-ing LIGHT BULB MOMENT. 

What's the worst that could happen? I put my most honest, loving, best self out into the universe, personally AND professionally. If people can't or won't accept me, then it's their loss. If I am living a life I am proud to live no one can take my joy.  

So this is me. Looking stupid. 


Looking stupid has given me so many opportunities recently that I never would have were I still choosing to hide. I made a kickass new friend (Hey, Natalie, HEEEEEEEEY!) by participating in a swap on Instagram, taught myself embroidery, joined the amazing Handmade in Kansas City group, began a partnership with Ribbon of Worth Foundation, donated to various fundraisers, & have just recently been met with a possible new adventure that is incredibly close to my heart.

So, friends, I extend the invitation to you. Be stupid with me.





P.S., "She" & "someone" are my therapist who, I'm pretty sure, has a direct link to God, Buddha, & most other mind blowing philosophers.

No comments:

Post a Comment