Monday, September 29, 2014

On Brave & Beautiful

I am almost 40 years old. 
I have grey hair. 
I need a haircut.
I have stretch marks & saggy skin. 
I am overweight.
I still get zits.
Damn squinty eye.
I have perpetual black bags under my eyes. 

All these things have been a source of discontent or frustration at one time or another. Or in the case of today, I woke up feeling acutely aware of all of them. 

I posted a picture to celebrate National Coffee Day today on Instagram & scrolled down my feed while I was there. That's where I found the #iambraveandbeautiful hashtag (Is it redundant to put the # thing, then spell out 'hashtag'?). Inspired by Colbie Caillat's song, "Try", the hashtag is meant to be a vehicle for women everywhere to strip themselves of make-up, fancy hair, accessories, etc., & just be. Embrace our brave, beautiful, natural selves. 

So I did. 



I am brave because I am almost 40 years old & have lived to tell the tale.
I am beautiful because my glass is always half full. 
I am brave because life happened to me & I kicked it in the ass.
I am beautiful because my body is soft & curvy.
I am brave because I just said that.
I am beautiful because I choose to find beauty everywhere.
I am brave because I am an introvert & happy to be one.
I am beautiful because I am a mama.
I am brave because I am a mama.
I am beautiful because the black bags under my eyes are the same as my Papa Donnie's.

What makes you brave? What makes you beautiful?
I invite you to embrace you brave beautifulness.



1 comment:

  1. you are awesome too! so glad you found our hashtag and movement while enjoying your coffee!!! thanK YOU for joining in an sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete